My family is facing a huge challenge starting May 1- save $500!! We have been crunching numbers and the only way to comfortably afford our dream home is if we can save/earn an extra $1000 a month. I know that earning $1000 will be difficult so my plan is to save $500 (or more!) and earn $500 a month.
Here are a few of our saving plans
* call around for a lower insurance rate
* found a cheaper trash plan- saving $15 a month- but we're going to see how much we can reduce our trash by composting and recycling everything we can. If we can get our trash down to a bag a week then we can eliminate trash pickup completely!! Saving $36 a month.
* calling about a better rate for Internet, home phone, and satellite.
*drastically reducing our amount of driving. Our budget is now $80 a month for gas. Savings $100
* Plan and follow menu---reduce trips to the store for just one item.
* shop our small market next door for weekly produce instead of driving across town
* holding a huge yard sale!
* selling all our soccer equipment. My kids decided that they aren't soccer kids. We're going to focus on the sports we love (golf, gymnastics, and dance)
* selling baked goods/extra garden produce at our local farmer's market
* cleaning houses. I'm going to start cleaning one day a week.
Do you have any ideas for us?? What is your number one way to drastically cut your budget or earn money?