Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Homestead Challenge Day 2

Today we headed to our library and signed up for the summer reading program. They are having some awesome programs and we should be enjoying free fun for the whole month of June!! While we were in town we stopped at our local organic store and I decided to buy some local organic milk to see if the kids liked it...success! so now I have a place to buy local milk. We also stopped at the green house and bought 4 huge pepper plants!!

I hung our laundry out today and we ate the leftover spaghetti for lunch. The kids had horseback riding lessons tonight so I quickly put some cooked chicken and cream of chicken soup in the crock pot for shredded chicken sandwiches.

I'm feeling pretty good about what I've accomplished so far. The only thing I wish I could do is have some chickens for fresh eggs. I love that I am finding other places to buy our groceries. I don't need the grocery store now for eggs or milk and once our garden is producing I'll be using that instead of the store. Our local farmer's market is just getting started also so I'll be able to use that to get more produce. My next step is to find local meat and cheeses.

I currently have a very large stockpile of cleaners, toilet paper, and shampoo so I won't be making any cleaning supplies until I use up what we have. If I am successful with buying local or growing my own I will be going a long while without going to the store.

My other new find was a food co-op that sounds pretty awesome. I'll be getting a catalog next week. I'm hoping the savings will be worth it.

1 comment:

Frugal Sara said...

This is such a cool challenge. I would love to be a homesteader too! I have been REALLY thinking about getting chickens. We have so many wild animals around here though I am not sure if it is safe for them. Good for you on finding a place for milk and eggs. You are doing such a great job. I will be following your adventure.