Sunday, August 7, 2011

Moving Right Along

July was the busiest month we've had here on the farm. We spent a week at our county fair showing a pen of broilers. My poor daughter ended up with nothing to take to fair because her market goat passed away three days before fair.

We suffered more livestock losses. We lost more hens but we were blessed to receive more hens from a friend moving out of state. Our current total of hens/ roosters is 18. As I stated we also lost my daughters market goat. We ended up with a total of 15 broilers so far. I won't call it a success until they are safely in my freezer! We take them in for processing next Saturday.

We are enjoying our surplus of eggs- when we can find them. Apparently our hens don't believe in laying their eggs in the coop so we have egg hunts every day. We were pleasantly surprised to find our first white leghorn egg this weekend! We now have 10 hens laying. Our two remaining goats are doing great. Oreo is still every one's favorite and will happily spend the day playing with my children! Ariel is supposed to be pregnant so we are anxiously waiting to see if we get a new baby soon! She was kept with a buck so we don't know her actual breeding date.

The garden has been taken over by weeds. I'm still picking cucumbers, zucchini, and tomatoes though. Next year I will take better care of the garden! The intense heat was just too much for me this year. I don't even know how much canning I'm going to do. I am feeling overwhelmed trying to run the farm, baby sit part time, keep the house clean, and homeschool my kids! This might be the year I sit out from canning.

We are also gearing up for our new school year. All of my kids are homeschooling again this year. My oldest is using an online school and we're excited to see how that plays out. Our first day back is august 22 and I still have so much to do!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

So freeze things instead. A lot less time intensive, but still very good.

Kim said...

My advice: Do the next thing!!

Make a list and just do the next thing you can. If you're feeling stressed sit and talk to God for a few moments and re-group.

I don't have a farm but we have chickens, a garden, children and aging parents who need help.

When I feel that I'm falling behind (which is a lot) I just make a list and pray and do the next thing. It really does help.

Keep on "moving right along"

Kim

Farming On Faith said...

I enjoyed catching up with you today,
I have you entered for my drawing at Farming on Faith. Today is National Toasted Marshmallow Day~ we are getting ready to celebrate with a camp fire tonight!