Friday, August 27, 2010

A Day in the Life of our Home School

I've been asked how I find time to take care of a large garden, home school our "large" family, can most of our produce for winter, and bake all our foods from scratch. I thought I'd describe a typical day at our house.

We generally wake up around 7:30 and I drink some coffee, check email and blogs. I start breakfast around 8. Our usually breakfasts are gluten free pancakes, gluten free snicker doodle coffee cake, or baked peanut butter oatmeal. While I make breakfast the kids are working on their morning chores-unloading dishwasher, feeding animals, dirty clothes clean up.

After breakfast we do Bible and circle time. Circle time is our little girl time. I assign the older kids their independent work (copy work, worksheets) while I do preschool with the littlest. My son is busy doing his independent Sonlight work and I teach phonics, grammar, and have my oldest daughter read aloud at this time.

Next comes our Sonlight read a loud for history and discussion. Once that is finished we move on to science followed by a narration time for the girls.

My son does all his independent work in the morning while I teach math to the girls.

We break for lunch at 11:30. I send the kids outside while I make lunch. After lunch I help my son with any of his work.

Once we finish up our school work we head outside and work in the garden. If I need to do any canning I work on it now. I also try to have dinner ready to put in the oven around 3ish.

We eat around 6 and after that it's free time or scouts, church, or other activities.

How do you schedule your day?

No comments: