Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why Have No Spend Months

One of my goals for 2010 is that I go on a spending freeze every other month, one of the reasons for this is that we're saving for our dream home. Another reason is that my husband will be having surgery in the next couple of months and he'll probably be off work for a month with no pay. We are buckling down here for the next two months. I'm going to buy enough food and household supplies to last two months. We're also going to a strict budget for gas. My hubby walks to work and I've gotten into a bad habit of running around when I could plan better and get everything done on one day.

We are looking at every way to save so tomorrow I'm calling around for insurance, phone/Internet/cable bundles to compare prices. I'm also going to cancel some items that are paid automatically from our checking. We're also working to reduce our electric bill and I'm planning on purchasing a few extra night lights instead of leaving a light on all night.

I'm planning on using the library for all of our entertainment instead of renting movies or buying books. I'm also hoping to talk my hubby into cutting our satellite package back.

Another idea we're looking at is trying to live like we already have our dream home. Could we afford the house payments on what we make now? What other changes will we need to make that we haven't thought of? Just how much are we willing to sacrifice to achieve our dreams?

2 comments:

Farming On Faith said...

I will pray for your husband and pray that God stretches that money to last.

Unknown said...

I pray that your hubby will have a speedy recovery, and I love hearing your ideas about cutting costs. I have been trying to talk my hubby into cutting out our home phone and cable. I think he is almost there but I am hoping a few more months he will agree.
Blessings!