Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Yes, Mom


Yeah mom. Okay. Whatever.
Those used to heard at our house everyday- but not anymore. I didn't grow up using Yes ma'am or any other respectful way to answer my parents or other grown ups. However after four of my five children started answering me with "yeah" or "alright ( hear the whining in the answers!) I decided it was time to do something.

I held a family meeting and told the kids we were starting something new. Every time I asked them to do something they are supposed to answer "Yes, Mom" with a cheerful attitude and do whatever asked right away. Every time they do that I add a check mark under their name on our memo board. On Sunday I count up the check marks and pay a penny a check mark. Sometimes there are a lot of check marks and other weeks you can see they've struggled and we talk about respectful obedience. It's also helping my oldest understand that if he says Yes mom I know that he heard me and I don't keep asking!!

That's what works for me. For more ideas check out we are that family

4 comments:

Kirsty said...

Great idea, we always had to reply with "yes, mom/dad" growing up and I think it breeds respect. I need to be better about instilling this in my own kids. Thanks!

Carissa Houston said...

I like the penny idea. My son (5) always asks "Why?" first--we're having him say "OK Mommy--but why?" Small difference but it's working.

Niki Jolene said...

We need this one at our house!

:)

Anonymous said...

What's up everybody, here every one is sharing such know-how, therefore it's fastidious to read this blog, and
I used to go to see this website every day.

Also visit my site compare auto insurance premiums