Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Homestead Goals for 2013

I can't believe that it's 2013 already! It seems like just yesterday I was thinking about my goals for 2012!

I am excited about what I hope to happen in our lives and on the farm this year. I feel like for the first time I'm finally getting my feet back under me and I'm able to farm, run a household, and home school.

Homestead Goal for 2013:

* Successfully raise 100 meat chickens.
2012 was NOT a successful year for us. My son lost his entire flock of meat chicks leaving him with no 4-H project. I purchased 25 meat chicks in November and we're down to FIVE! Clearly, raising meat chicks in the winter wasn't a good idea.

* Breed both of our dairy goats. Successfully milk both does.
  2012 brought us our first goat kid. I, finally, was able to successfully milk our Saanen doe. This year we're breeding our Toggenburg and our Saanen.

* Purchase a Nubian doe.

* Purchase two wool sheep.
 My son wants to try his hand at showing these this year.

* Successfully breed our sow.
 Yes, we've decided to keep the pig! My husband finally just told me to keep her and breed her. I feel blessed that he understands my crazy attachment to this pig. She comes right up for ear scratches and loves to be hugged. Strange right?

* Purchase 25 heritage breed laying hens

* Can much more of the following:
-grape juice
- peaches
- pears

* Grow more of the following:
- cucumbers
-zucchini
- sweet peas!
- shelling peas
- sweet corn
-pumpkins

* Depend less  on the grocery store.
 This will mean being much more on top of things with the garden planning, purchasing of egg layers, and raising our meat.


What are some of your goals for your homestead in 2013?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I
have truly loved browsing your weblog posts.
In any case I will be subscribing for your rss feed and I am hoping you write once more very soon!


Also visit my web site :: car insurance in