Yesterday, my husband received word that lay offs will start next week. Our shoestring budget just got smaller! How will we make it if/when he is let go? He hasn't worked there long enough for unemployment. We are blessed that we know the lay off is coming so we can prepare for it.
Here's what we know. He was paid today and he has at least one more paycheck. That should be enough to pay our rent for the next month. My checks will go directly into savings, instead of "fun" money.
How to tighten an already tight budget:
* I will get one full tank of gas, when it's gone it's gone. My goal is for it to last close to two months.
* I'll go back to strict once a month grocery shopping. If I need to make another stop it will be on our town days.
* Two town days a week. We are active in our church and our local home school coop so our town days will be Wednesday and Sunday. Once a month, my son also has Generation Joshua on Mondays.
* No eating out. My son goes out to lunch with the teens from our coop every Wednesday so that will become his "paycheck" for doing things that help me with the farm. Total spent weekly $5.
* Purchase a few easy and quick meals, so I'm not tempted to eat out.
* I won't be purchasing any new livestock.
* I'll take a load of outgrown clothes and other treasures to Once Upon a Child and use that money to fill in the gaps of our winter needs.
* Hang all laundry to dry. I do a load a day so that should really cut the electric usage!
* Begin really using CVS again, to help reduce our household budget.
* Meal plan and stick to it!!!
* Purchase only what we need at the grocery store...not what we want.
* Hubby will be out deer hunting as soon as layoffs happen. We are hoping for at least two deer to put in the freezer. If that happens, we'll be pretty well set in the meat department...we'll have an entire hog, two turkeys, 80lbs chicken breast, and 6 whole chickens.
* We process our own deer meat so the only cost is his tags.
Ways I earn a little extra cash:
* I offer gluten free baked goods during the holiday time.
* Swag bucks ( if you haven't already signed up, there's a spot on my blog that will take you there!)
* Offer drop off daycare. Or be available as a back up sitter.
* Pet/farm sit
* clean others homes
If you knew there was a layoff coming in your future, how would you prepare?
This post is linked to: