Thursday, April 15, 2010

Eat Real Food is Frugal


I have something I need to tell you and it might upset some of you but-you must eat real food to save money. I know, maybe your family is super healthy living on frozen tv dinners and oreos and maybe you have no history of cancer or diseases in your family but you are not immune from them!! Your health is the most important part of frugal living. If you're tired all the time you don't want to make meals from scratch or start a garden. If you're always recovering from another cold it's easy to throw kraft mac and cheese together.

Eating real food is a way to keep you healthy. Over the past year my family has given up almost all prepared foods. I make our own bread products, snacks, condiments, and many other things. I do this even though I home school our five children. It's hard to find the time but pick a day and spend the afternoon baking a weeks worth of bread and snacks.

If you're looking to make the switch to real foods and are worried about the cost here's a tip- avoid organic boxed foods!!! Your homemade goodies are much better for you.

Maybe it's time that keeps you from switching to real foods. If that's the case take a weekend and make some freezer meals. I use a method of "dump" cooking. I just put all my ingredients in a freezer bag and then thaw it out and dump it in a pan!!

For more frugal tips check out Life as Mom

3 comments:

Niki Jolene said...

Hi there! Niki here, dropping in from over at Free 2 Be Frugal. I really enjoyed your Frugal Friday post...in the long run healthier eating really does save.
Stop by and see me sometime.

:)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I'm all for homemade foods! They taste sooooo much better! :D

Have a great weekend!
Sherry

Jennifer said...

I couldn't agree with you more! Eating real food has certainly kept us healthier.