Monday, June 8, 2009

Homestead Monday


Around the house...

* washed a load of laundry and hung them on the line...only to have it rain off and on most of the day. The clothes did finally get dry and they are so soft! Gotta love nature's fabric softener!!
* Today was our daughter's first day in cloth training pants. I think I should have bought more. I ended up using some underwear as well and they definitely don't work as well as the training pants. I'll have to search at the thrift stores for some more. She keeps telling us " No potty train me...potty train Reagan." I decided if you're old enough to argue your case you're old enough to use the potty!!
* made homemade granola bars
* made a successful homemade angel food cake...yea!!
* went online and reserved about 10 books for my son saved about $50
* my seven year old read an entire book today on her own. Cost- priceless!! I am so proud, she's been a struggling reader for two years now.
* We are going to give up the cell phone...I think. It would save us $30 or more a month
* we're also thinking about using Netflix through the X-box 360...hubby says you can watch tv and all the movies you want for $9 a month. If that is true we could get rid of cable too and save another $30. Has anybody used this? Did you like it?
* My son borrowed a cd he really wanted from the library. Saved $15

In the Garden...

* our beans are growing!! We'll need to weed our spot in the other garden soon. I just don't want to pull something that should be there. My dad and son planted that one for me.
* Our strawberry plants are doing well and we were getting a couple berries everyday but now we're fighting with a robin who seems to think they belong to him. Any ideas how to get rid of him?
* I will be doing some heavy weeding again once the rain moves out.

My cloth diapers have shipped and I'm anxiously waiting on them to arrive. I can't wait to try them. I also found a couple of homesteading books at the library today. I am enjoying being home again. The girls helped me make our goodies today and it was nice working beside them.

How was your day?

1 comment:

shelley amstutz said...

sounds like you have been doing great at saving money. I am going to have to make those granola bars. Thanks for the kroger deal post, I have to go into the store today for catfood and now I can grab some free toothpaste and toothbrushes while im there.
shelley