Saturday, May 2, 2009




Do you want to know what one of the most difficult things to do in your life is? Tell your husband, parents, and children that you have cancer. Watching their faces fill with fear and sadness.

I had to do all of these things when I was 25 years old. I was diagnosed with advanced stage invasive ductal carcinoma and HER2+++, I was also pregnant. I had no family history of the disease. I was under the impression that breast cancer only happened to women who were "going through the change" so when I found a lump I said nothing. I brushed it off. When it started to grow and I could barely keep my eyes open from being so tired I chalked it up to pregnancy hormones. Once the tumor was the size of a softball ( DO NOT WAIT THAT LONG!) I finally told my ob/gyn about it. His exact words were " if this is cancer it's too late. It will have already spread every where. "

This July it will be four years since the day the world stood still. I am still alive. I am cancer free. Praise the Lord!!

Each year 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. This disease doesn't care if you're young or old. Black, white, or purple. Mom, daughter, sister, wife, or friend. It wants your life. Susan G Komen is committed to ending this disease. On May 16,2009 Columbus, Ohio will be holding it's annual Race for the Cure- please donate to this worthy cause or go to a race. You will be in awe of the waves of pink survivor shirts. It is a moving experience, one that I've yet to allow my husband or children be part of. My first race was only two months after my mastectomy and three months after my final chemo, at one point I was walking behind a father and his two young children and I noticed who they were walking for - in memory of their mommy- together we can find a cure so that will never be my husband or yours.

Please go to komencolumbus.org for more information or globalrace.info-komen.org

No comments: