Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Creating a Homeschool Scrapbook


I tried to be a scrap booking momma but homeschooling three blessings and chasing two more doesn't leave much extra time to create beautiful scrapbooks. I always wanted to create scrapbooks for each of my children and was disappointed that I could never find the time or energy to make one.

As homeschoolers we are required to keep a portfolio to show our accomplishments from the school year and I found a way to finally accomplish my dream of creating scrapbooks for each of my children. Instead of just putting samples of my children's work in a binder I scrapbook their year.

Here are some of the items I include each year-
* our goals for the year
* favorite color, friend, hero, Bible verse, subject, book
* a quote and Bible verse that shows a quality I see in each child
* current photo
* lists/pictures of hobbies
* lists/pictures of field trips and other home school activities

I include many other items as well, samples of artwork, science, math, handwriting, creative writing, and history. I also include any current events that affect our lives. This year was also the first year I had my oldest create his own list of goals to include in his book.

Creating these books used to take me days to complete, so I tried to think of other ways to cut back the time it takes. This year I have kept separate files for each of my children and as we complete our Science notebook page or history page we add them to the file. Now I have everybody's papers separated and in one place. I also add their artwork, stories, and any other loose paper that is awesome.

Each year my children receive a scrapbook/yearbook of their very own. My children love to look through their previous years and see how much they've changed. I make a scrapbook for my preschooler, kindergartner, second grader, and fifth grader.

For more works for me Wednesday tips check out wearethatfamily

No comments: