Monday, March 16, 2009

Having a Baby Shower on a Budget

I was recently asked for some tips on throwing a frugal baby shower, here are my best tips!

I have only given one baby shower so I might not have too many ideas but here goes...
* check the library for books on throwing showers for games and ideas for food.
* At the shower I had we didn't do punch, instead it was water or pop ( you can get pretty decent sales on 2 liters.)
* Buy balloons at your Dollar Tree or Dollar store where everything is a $1
* This might sound extremely rude but we didn't do party favors either. Our budget just didn't allow it. If you have a large stockpile of lotions or nail polish you could do something like that or little bags of the candy you can get free from CVS or Walgreens, wrap up with blue or pink ribbon and put some confetti in it and there you go! You can get the cheap baggies that don't zip close pretty cheap at Walmart.
* Food is a huge budget buster so really think on what you want to serve... a meal or just appetizers? If your party is from 2-4 you could have a vegetable tray, some Chex Mix ( free from coupons!) platter of cookies ( free or cheap cookie mixes from coupons), pretzels with cheese cubes ( cheese as been really cheap or free here lately with coupons), or crackers and cheese ( crackers have also been super cheap lately! You can even get some free this week at CVS!!) If you want to serve a meal I would do something simple like Sloppy Joe in the Crockpot or shredded chicken sandwiches.
- invitations are a hard one...if it's only family or close friends I would send email cards, otherwise I would look at Dollar Tree or Walmart for some cheap invitations. You could even make your own if you need too! I would try to hand deliver if it's possible because stamps can be a large expense!

** Here is a budget breakdown of how I would throw a shower if I had one today...
-Crackers and Cheese ( less than $5 all cheese has been free and crackers were less than $1 a box)
-Pitchers of Ice water or Koolaid ( free or minimal cost since I have tons of free sugar and Koolaid from the summer)
-Platter of different cookies chocolate chip, sugar cookies, chocolate peanutbutter chip ( cookie mixes were $.25 each, eggs, and vegetable oil @ $2.29 for a bottle)
- bowls full of Chex Mix ( free after coupons)
** make cake from free cake mix and free icing**

Paper plates, napkins, plastic silverware, cups buy at Walmart for about $10 depending on how many people
-games from free book at the library
* party favors for guests would be bags of candy ( free from CVS) ** clutter free gift!!**
* buy balloons for $1 at dollar store and tablecloth

My total might be $20-30 for all. Do you have any tips on throwing showers on a budget?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made my ow invitations. I was able to do it cheaply using some paper punches, rubber stamps, and some baby shower wrapping paper. It really gives a nice touch to the whole affair.