Monday, March 2, 2009

Gluten Free

We are currently in the process of removing all gluten from my five year old daughters diet. I never realized how hard it was going to be. I have been able to find some snacks that she likes and of course her Lays chips! It's that darn lunch thing that is driving me crazy!

My question is for anybody who also does the gluten/dairy/soy free diet, how do you handle lunch? My daughter doesn't like meat very much so leftovers don't work. Please tell me how you do this without losing your mind? I feel like I hit a brick wall with ideas!!

2 comments:

Kaycee said...

I don't have any ideas for you, but Erin at 5dollardinners.com has 2 kids on gluten and soy free diets. She is always posting ideas on her site.

Angela said...

My daughter requires a gluten free diet as well but only the gluten free requirement.

For lunch we eat many things (lunch was my second biggest issue when going gluten free, breakfast was number one.)

We have tuna/egg salad/etc on crackers. (We love Nut Thins! But there are tons of brands out there to enjoy.) She loves soup with a passion so we found her some canned soup to eat. Generic brand chicken and rice is great for being gluten free. She (13 years old) makes sandwiches on rice cakes with lettuce, lunchmeat and other toppings. She loves them. We eat lots of fruits and veg as well. My kids have always loved salad so that is one for us as well.

It took time and creativity to find things to eat for her that she would eat and wouldn't make her feel different. But with a little time to research and shop you can do it just fine.

Good luck!