Monday, March 9, 2009

Being Content





Living on a budget can be hard. There are days when it is wonderful and then there are those days when you just really really want to buy a Starbucks and a new shirt. How do you remain content? Is it possible to live a life on a shoestring budget and really enjoy it?

Every day we are bombarded by tv shows, magazines, and catalogs that beg us to buy everything that we can't afford. If we don't buy then we won't be happy. Most days I find it easy to say no. I look around my house and see everything I already have and feel content. Other times I give in to the poor me, my couch isn't new, the dishes don't match, and all my clothes are from the thrift store. It is a constant battle to stay content. When we fail not only do we feel like a failure but we also deal with the guilt of making a purchase not in our budget. Maybe we go over our grocery budget because we were tired and bought cookies, chips, and frozen meals. Satan steps in right here and gladly tells us that we've failed our husbands and family by not only buying "junk" food but we're also wasting his hard earned money! Here are my top ways to stay content on a budget!

* Don't read woman's magazines. I quit reading these but then I signed up for some free subscriptions and was quickly reminded why I stopped reading them. After I spend even 15 minutes with these I "need" to lose 10 lbs and redo my living room.

* Throw the homeschool catalogs away. I know this sounds crazy but hear me out... I've already picked our curriculum for next year ( and bought it!) but then suddenly this really neat catalog comes and in it is the answer to all our homeschool problems. It will make our day run smooth, it includes everybody from infant to high schooler with NO prep work for mom, and it will make our children into the perfect homeschooler! Suddenly, I'm doubting my previous decision, now do I buy more curriculum and hope to sell my others ( or just add it to the shelves of other mistakes?) or do I make do with what I've bought and feel like a failure because I picked the wrong curriculum? Just pitch those catalogs! Don't open them! Don't peek inside just quickly drop it in the trash!!

* Don't look at the ads in the Sunday paper. I only open that section to get the coupons and that's it. I can always find something I need in the Target ad or the Kohls ad that I didn't even know I needed until that minute!

* I do not go to malls or window shop. It is too easy to get sucked into spending money you don't have on stuff you don't need.

* I also don't like to do my Christmas shopping with other people, I shop by a list of what we can afford not necessarily what we want. Shopping with people who buy everything on their lists without a care about money breeds discontentment quickly!

* I take only a certain amount of money when the kids and I yard sale. I can easily spend way more than I planned to if I hit a few sales with "great" deals. I pick up a shirt here or a book there that wasn't on my list and suddenly the money is gone and I'm discontent that I can't buy anything else. I also make a list of things we want or need so if I find them I know it's something to buy if it's not on the list it doesn't come home with me!

What about you? What are some ways you have found to stay content on a budget?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have to throw out the homeschool catalogs! You described my feelings perfectly!

We don't often have money to go to the grocery store. Last month, I had a litle bit of cash to take with me ($20). I misadded in my head and went over by $4. I felt so awful (and foolish); I had to tell the bagger to stop bagging three times and I couldn't take 3 things home. I cried in the parking lot.

But then I came home and saw the lettuce growing in my garden, and I felt grateful to God for all that He has given me. We aren't starving. I may not have all that I want, but I have enough my for needs, and sometimes, God blesses us with our wants as well.

Counting your blessings really helps. Looking at all you have--shelter, food, your family, dishes to eat on, clothes to wear, blankets to keep you warm--and be thankful in your prayers for the many blessings that God has bestowed on you.

The Pennington Point said...

Such a great post! I agree with you, the catalogs and malls are a trap. :) But I think the magazines afect each of us differently. For me, I love to look at the magazines. I will get fun ideas for my house and figure out cheap (or free) ways to incorporate them in my house. Thanks for the post! Lisa~

Jennifer said...

I know what you mean about the homeschool catalogs. I love reading magazines at lunch time, I borrow them from the library, but I try to stick with finance magazines and gardening magazines. I am learning something by reading them, not making myself feel bad.