Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Challenge Day 5

Christmas is getting closer!! Are you ready? Today let's talk about decorating our homes and our tree. I love to decorate for Christmas. My husband has come home from work before Thanksgiving and found me hanging up Christmas decorations before! It is very easy for me to get carried away buying new things to decorate with. I like to add a new piece each year but it was really starting to take a bite out of the budget. A year ago I was at a yard sale and it had a ton of Christmas decorations for $.25-.75 a piece. I bought most of them, some of them still had tags on them!! I also check out thrift stores all year round hunting for a new treasure. Thrift stores are usually more expensive than yard sales so be sure to know your prices before you start buying all you find!

Another good way to get cheap decorations is the day after Christmas. I buy each of the kids a hallmark ornament every year and we all go the day after Christmas to pick one out for 50% off! You can usually find a ton of great things to add to your collection at Walmart and CVS.

My family still uses a real tree at Christmas. I know it's not very frugal but I enjoy watching the kids help pick out the tree and everybody taking a turn to cut it down. If you are thinking about switching from a real tree to a fake one, the days after Christmas are the best time to find them or check Goodwill.

No comments: